Plan's work helps thousands of children across Nicaragua to access their rights
Founded over 70 years ago, Plan is one of the oldest and largest children's development organizations in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty.
Plan has been operating in Nicaragua for 20 years, helping poor children and their communities to access their rights to education, health, protection, food security and sustainable livelihoods.
Our core areas of activity include:
- promoting access to quality education
- supporting children to achieve their right to a healthy life
- protecting children from abuse, exploitation and violence
- encouraging child participation
- Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
During 2013 Plan worked in Nicaragua with 28,200 sponsored children - and through our programs we benefit a total of 515,000 people living in 372 rural communities in the poorest municipalities of the country.
Boosting food security in Nicaragua
Hundreds of families facing food shortages in some of the poorest rural areas of Nicaragua are now eating healthily thanks to Plan's food security programme.