We strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We engage people and partners to:
- Empower children, young people and communities to make vital changes that tackle the root causes of discrimination against girls, exclusion and vulnerability.
- Drive change in practice and policy at local, national and global levels through our reach, experience and knowledge of the realities children face.
- Work with children and communities to prepare for and respond to crises and to overcome adversity.
- Support the safe and successful progression of children from birth to adulthood.
How we work
We see clear links between fulfilling children’s rights, achieving gender equality and ending child poverty. Every girl and boy has the right to be healthy, educated, protected, valued and respected in their own community and beyond.
We support these rights from when children are born to when they reach adulthood. We work to ensure that girls and boys know their rights, and have the skills, knowledge and confidence to fulfil them. This approach inspires and empowers children and communities to create long-lasting change.
Our programmes operate at multiple levels to advance children’s rights and tackle the root causes of discrimination, exclusion and vulnerability across 8 key areas:
- Water and sanitation
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Early childhood care and development
- Disaster risk management
- Economic security
- Child protection
- Child participation.
As part of this ongoing programming, we work during and after natural disasters, emergencies and conflicts to enable children to prepare for and respond to crises and adversity.
Our global advocacy work not only focuses on international policy but also ensures national governments can meaningfully implement and uphold laws that advance children’s rights and gender equality at community level.