Our strategy is to work with vulnerable children and especially girls so that they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. Within the strategy we have an ambition to transform the lives of 100 million girls. Child sponsorship and grassroots community work are central to our strategy and achieving this ambition.
Over the next 5 years, we will:
Deliver greater impact for vulnerable children, especially girls
To realise our ambition, we will focus on specific areas where we can achieve the greatest transformations.
- respond to local contexts and global trends
- work where violations of children’s rights and inequality for girls are the greatest
- be accountable to those we work with and transparent in how we operate
- develop innovative new ways of seeking and directing funds that will have the greatest impact
Lead on girls’ rights
All over the world, girls suffer discrimination in education, health, work and family life. The Sustainable Development Goals cannot be realised without a specific focus on achieving gender equality.
- work with men, women, boys and girls everywhere to advance the girls’ rights movement
- pursue deep-rooted change to achieve our ambition for girls
- extend our reach and become the world’s leading girls’ rights organisation
Transform girls’ lives
All our programmes will focus on transforming girls’ lives so that they are able to learn, lead, decide and thrive.
- be led by children and girls
- transform attitudes and behaviours that deny girls their rights
- ensure that 100% of our programmes focus on significantly advancing gender equality by tackling the root causes of discrimination
Leave no one behind
In this rapidly-changing world, disadvantaged children face increasing marginalisation. All our work will focus on reaching vulnerable and excluded children, particularly girls, where their rights are most violated. Children are living on city streets, in slums and in villages, or migrating to seek safety, opportunity or shelter. We must be where they are and enable them to realise their rights.
- increase our work in fragile and conflict-affected states
- ensure our programmes and influencing advance children’s rights in both the Global North and South
- adapt to new challenges presented by the changing global landscape, remaining relevant to ensure that no child is left behind
To achieve our ambition, we will build upon existing partnerships and seek out new opportunities for collaboration, in order to expand our reach and grow the girls’ rights movement.
- work through local organisations and movements, building capacity and strengthening communities’ own influencing
- collaborate through local, regional, national and global partnerships, working with the private sector, international institutions and other organisations who share our goals
- engage through a global network of offices, partnerships, programmes and influence reaching across at least 100 countries to transform children’s lives.
Influence greater change at local and global levels
To transform the lives of children and girls, we will strengthen our influence at all levels: from communities to global organisations. We will use knowledge gained through our work to push for better solutions to poverty and real progress in gender equality.
- influence policy changes that reinforce the Learn, Lead, Decide and Thrive outcomes we seek
- support communities to hold governments accountable for their promises
- collaborate with others to influence for policy changes and investments that advance children’s rights and equality for girls