The State of the World’s Girls 2015: Unfinished Business
Because I am a Girl: The State of the World's Girls 2015 – The Unfinished Business of Girls' Rights
The 2015 State of the World’s Girls report brings together prominent contributors from all over the world who hail the progress made in realising girls’ rights, but lament the fact that girls still face huge challenges.
There have been important changes in the lives of adolescent girls and their access to education since the millennium, but the world still has a long way to go in the struggle for gender equality. The 2015 State of the World’s Girls report brings together 14 prominent contributors who hail progress made in realising girls’ rights, but lament the fact that girls still face huge challenges.
The report’s many renowned contributors include:
- Mariane Pearl, Managing Editor of the Chime for Change campaign, journalist and author
- Indra Nooyi, Chairman and CEO of PepsiCo
- Julia Gillard, former Prime Minister of Australia, Chair of the Board of the Global Partnership for Education
- Anita Haidary, Afghan women’s rights activist and co-founder of Young Women for Change
- Liya Kebede, supermodel and designer, founder of the Liya Kebede Foundation for mothers
- President Jimmy Carter
- Nawal El Saadawi, writer, novelist, medical doctor and fighter for women’s rights
This is a threshold moment, the contributors write, where the gains made in maternal mortality, female education and legal protection under the umbrella of the Millennium Development Goals can be built upon by the Sustainable Development Goals, which have gender equality at their centre. But they stress that without economic empowerment and equitable education, no further gains can be made.
The Unfinished Business of Girls’ Rights is the ninth report in Plan International’s annual State of the World’s Girls series. All the previous reports are available on the Plan International website.
Executive summary (english)
Executive Summary (Francais)
Executive Summary (Espanol)
Executive Summary (Portugues)
full report (english)
full report (francais)
full report (espanol)
youth summary (english)
youth summary (francais)
youth summary (espanol)
Girls Get Equal, child marriage, Gender-based violence