Curriculum guide: Effective support for transition to primary school
Effective support for transition to primary school curriculum guide
This guide analyses the broad spectrum of factors that influence whether a child successfully transitions in to primary school.
The transition from pre-school to primary school is a critical passage in a child’s life. It is a time when children from high-poverty communities are especially at risk. Given the link between early achievement and later outcomes, difficulties during the transition from pre-school to primary school can set the stage for long-term academic problems and school failure.
This guide analyses the broad spectrum of factors that influence whether a child successfully transitions in to primary school and proposes a variety of options and strategies to achieve:
- A child’s readiness to succeed in school
- A family’s readiness to support learning in the home and the transition to school
- Positive home and school relations
- Primary school adaptations to support success in the early grades
- Community safety nets to supplement family and school efforts (eg health and nutrition support, child protection and community outreach for children with disabilities).
Early childhood development, Children with disabilities, Early learning