Plan International is committed to fostering a positive working environment for all, regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation and other differences.
To create an enabling and safe workplace, we are adopting the principles of feminist leadership to promote diversity and equality in the workplace. This recognises the structural inequalities within workplace that contribute to discrimination and uncovers the root causes of power abuse and how it manifests itself.
Examples of our work on internal culture include:
- Employee network forums to create safe spaces and ensure the voices of under-represented groups are heard
- A new leadership framework that encompasses feminist principles
- Staff wellbeing initiatives and activities
- Gender-related key performance indicators for recruitment and talent management to ensure there is more equal representation of men and women at leadership level
- Positive role modelling and living our organisational values by including criteria on gender equality and girls’ rights and inclusion in annual staff Global Awards
Guidance for staff and associates
Our Values and Behaviours Framework highlights that equality and inclusion are integral to how we work together.
Our Code of Conduct clearly outlines and regulates the conduct expected of all staff, regardless of location and context in which they work. We have a zero-tolerance approach towards discrimination, bullying and/or harassment (including sexual harassment).
Our Harassment, Bullying and Discrimination Policy includes the preventive and response measures we apply as well as mechanisms to deal with workplace misconduct:
- The policy requires our staff understand the issues of harassment, bullying and discrimination and their responsibility for speaking out and keeping other colleagues safe.
- We have robust reporting procedures, including anonymous channels, to enable instances to be consistently managed.
We take allegations of harassment, bullying and discrimination seriously and respond promptly and with sensitivity to every complaint.