What we do
Plan’s work in Burkina Faso covers 4 core areas, all of which are rooted in the rights of the child:
- good quality education
- maternal and child health care
- safe drinking water and sanitation
- protecting children against the effects of HIV.
Good quality education
This priority programme aims to improve access to quality formal and non-formal education. A great number of children have been enrolled in schools thanks to an increase in school infrastructure building projects, repairs, furnishings and supplies by Plan.
We also support the capacity building of community and institutional structures in charge of education.
Maternal and child health care
This programme is dedicated to supporting a responsive health care system, which will ensure the good health of young children.
It focuses on:
- trying to eliminate the main causes of death in children such as acute respiratory infections, diarrhoea related diseases and malaria
- immunisation of all children under 5 years of age from major disease
- pre- and post-natal care.
Safe drinking water and sanitation
Plan seeks to ensure that all inhabitants of villages have access to a safe drinking water point within less than 1,000 metres and also have sanitation facilities.
Protecting children against the effects of HIV
Through this programme, Plan focuses on promoting HIV voluntary testing and counselling, raising awareness of the spread of HIV, whilst working with associations of people living with the disease and affected children.