Gender equality and LGBTIQ+ rights activists have a lot in common. These groups must work together in the fight for equality.
Salvadorian campaigner Gonzalo shares his experiences as an LGBTIQ+ and gender equality activist and explains how we can all support each other for an end to discrimination.
Gonzalo's top tips for how to be a gender equality and LGBTIQ+ ally
- Find common ground: Gender equality and LGBTIQ+ issues have a lot in common, one of which is fighting gender roles imposed by a patriarchal system.
- Support other rights groups: We must have empathy and we must understand each other, and the different causes people are fighting for. By understanding them, we are supporting them.
- Recognise your privilege: Recognise that boys and men have privileges that woman and girls have not been able to enjoy. Turn these places of power into spaces to fight discrimination.
- Get organised: Get together a group of friends and learn about gender equality. Understand the issues and then you will know how you can help.
- Stay safe: Safety contexts will be different depending on countries. Find out the risks of speaking out about gender equality and supporting the LGBTIQ+ community.
- Don’t give up: Don’t stop until EVERYONE has the same rights.