New standards set for girls and women at the UN
Agreements on gender equality came after tough negotiations at the UN’s Commission on the Status of Women, writes Jennifer Klot, Plan International Representative to the United Nations, New York.
- Jennifer KlotPlan International Representative to the United Nations, New York.
I met girl survivors of Cyclone Idai. They will struggle most to recover.
Tinotenda Hondo is on the ground in Zimbabwe. She’s mindful of what everyone affected is struggling through but knows girls face most barriers on the journey to recovery.
- Tinotenda HondoGlobal Safer Cities Programme and Advocacy Manager
Women who share power are girls' greatest allies
On International Women's Day, Plan International's Madeleine Askham is calling on women to share their power with girls to support the push for justice and equality.
- Madeleine AskhamPolicy and Advocacy Advisor, Plan International
Ending child marriage is possible: Invest in what’s working
Child, early and forced marriage has significant negative impacts on the futures of children, particularly girls. This harmful practice can expose girls to violence, unintended pregnancy and unsafe abortion, denying them their basic rights to childhood, with damaging impact on their education, health and economic prospects.
- Bhagyashri Dengle and Björn AnderssonInterim regional director at Plan International Asia and regional director, UNFPA Asia and the Pacific.
We must not leave climate change for children to fix
Young activists are speaking out about the urgency of reducing emissions. We must support them and put pressure on parties at COP24 to commit to tackling climate change, blogs Jess Cooke.
- Jess CookeResilience and Climate Change Policy Officer
Play your part and challenge gender-based violence
Youth activist Chamathya, 24, is an enthusiastic and dedicated gender equality and girls rights activist who wants to see a world free from violence, discrimination and harassment of girls and women.
- Chamathya, 25Young Influencer
Facebook auction shows tech must do more to protect girls’ rights
Social networking sites like Facebook have a huge role to play in protecting human rights, blogs Susannah Birkwood.
- Susannah BirkwoodPress Officer
Girls' freedom online is under attack
Compared to their male peers, girls online are facing more threats of sexual violence, more comments about their appearance and behaviour, and are more often told not to speak out and have an opinion. We need to reclaim the internet for girls, assert our experts, Leila Asrari and Nora Lindstrom.
- Leila Asrari and Nora LindstromPolicy and Advocacy Advisor and Global Lead on Digital Development
Why family planning access is important for girls in Kenya
Girls have the potential to transform societies if they get access to family planning services and information, blogs youth campaigner Caren as experts meet at the International Conference on Family Planning.
- CarenGlobal youth activist