The Plan International Liaison Office to the UN Headquarters seeks to promote and enhance child and youth rights by strategically engaging with the UN system, Member States, and the international community in New York.
The office leads Plan International’s engagement in New York-based UN events and processes, maintains key institutional relations, and works to influence international processes and strategies to create lasting change for girls, boys, adolescents, and young people.
As an international NGO, Plan International holds Special Consultative Status with the UN. The UN Liaison Office in New York represents the organisation’s priorities to key international agencies and bodies headquartered in New York City, including the Executive Office of the Secretary-General, the General Assembly (UNGA), the Economic and Social Council, and Special Advisers, Representatives and Envoys to the Secretary-General.
Plan International is a member of the NGO Committee on UNICEF and collaborates with various civil society organisations and coalitions active at UNHQ.
Our key focus areas
Supporting Member States to implement the recommendations of the UN Secretary-General’s Study on Violence against Children
Advocating for action and leading NGO coordination at the UN to end harmful practices, including child, early and forced marriage
Promoting the meaningful participation and engagement of girls and boys in the World Humanitarian Summit
Working closely with the group of Child-Focused Agencies for maximum impact in UN policy negotiations
- Engaging in the annual Commission on the Status of Women
- Promoting the empowerment of girls through thought leadership and girl engagement at the UN and among partners
- Working with Member States and UN agencies to ensure the full implementation of the first substantive UNGA resolution on child, early and forced marriage
- Leading Plan International’s engagement in the preparation and activities at the UN to mark the International Day of the Girl Child on 11 October each year
Youth Participation in Governance
- Promoting the meaningful and inclusive participation of adolescents and young people in decisions that affect them at all levels, including UN processes
- Leading Plan International’s engagement in UN activities to celebrate International Youth Day on 12 August each year
The Sustainable Development Goals
- Leading Plan International’s engagement and advocacy on the development, implementation, and follow-up and review of the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at the UN in New York
- Advocating for a human rights-based, people-centered agenda that addresses the needs and priorities of girls, boys, adolescents and young people, especially the most marginalised
Where can you find us?
Plan International United Nations Office in New York
305 East 47th Street
New York, NY 10017
Phone: +1 917 398 0018
To contact us, please send your request to UNOfficeNY@plan-international.org