Plan International has been operating in Nigeria since 2014 to promote children’s rights and equality for girls.
Over the years there has been a struggle in Nigeria to provide the country’s young and vast population with a quality education. The situation has been exacerbated by violence from insurgents in the North East of the country since 2009. As a result, thousands of people have died and millions have fled their homes either within Nigeria or to neighbouring countries.
The violence has also caused acute food shortages across the entire Lake Chad region.
Our key areas of work are:
- Ensuring that children continue their education in safety
- Reducing maternal and child mortality amongst marginalised and vulnerable women and girls
- Nutritional support for mothers and young children
- Protecting children from violence
- Empowering young people to stand up for their rights and seek accountability from leaders.