Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalised and most often left behind.
We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive.
This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality.
Our organisation is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work.
We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
As Deputy Director of ROA Region, you will be responsible for leading and managing the Country Directors - ensuring that each Country Office has a quality strategic plan in place to deliver Plan International’s strategic ambitions, and enabling high performing teams to work together to deliver strong performance against agreed key result areas and standards.
The role requires courageous and inspirational leadership skills, a drive that delivers results and the ability to build strong and constructive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
As Deputy Director of ROA Region you will be able to demonstrate significant experience in international relief and development with specific skills and experience in strategy development and management, as well as program quality, accountability and impact, working in partnership, change leadership, transition management, staff development, coordination and teamwork.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide visionary leadership, direction and motivation to Country Directors through an observable and passionate commitment to girls’ rights and equality for all children.
- Endorse each country’s strategic plan and annual budget/business plan, ensuring that they are fully implemented and fully in line with the global strategy.
- Build and maintain constructive relationships with National Organisation representatives and current / potential donors.
- Ensure that Country Offices have a robust grant acquisition strategy and support Country Directors in achieving their agreed annual revenue, cost and efficiency targets.
- Build and maintain a high performing Country Director team that delivers against Plan International’s strategic goals and measures, whilst demonstrating behaviours consistent with Plan International’s values and behaviours.
- Ensure countries demonstrate that Plan International’s standards of quality are being achieved and operate consistently within Plan International’s key policies and procedures, including programming, influencing, brand, risk management, HR, finance and cash management.
- Lead sub-regional strategy development and implementation in line with Plan International’s ambition in Region of Americas and the Caribbean
- Communicate organization wide and regional priorities to country programmes to help them develop and implement appropriate plans
- Provide overall leadership to the sub-region as part of the Regional Management Team to ensure that the transformation process is effectively implemented and meets its objectives.
- Coordinate creative accountability and learning activities and seek opportunities to share this learning beyond the sub-region.
- Ensure country and regional priorities and perspectives are articulated to other key stakeholders and play an active role in influencing the wider organization.
- Participate actively in the Regional Management Team and the Regional Leadership Teams.
Do you have what it takes?
In order to succeed in this challenging and varied role you will require demonstrable knowledge and understanding of International conventions on child rights and gender equality as well as the Sustainable Development Goals.
Strong business acumen with an understanding of performance reporting tools and methodologies with the ability to consider commercial implications of decisions.
Delivers results by regularly monitoring performance, anticipating problems/obstacles and implementing effective contingency plans.
Communicates effectively and persuasively with all staff and stakeholders (both verbal and written).
Fluency in written and verbal English and Spanish
Our organisational values are designed to help everyone who works with us achieve our ambitious goals for children, especially girls.
- We are open and accountable
- We strive for lasting impact
- We work well together
- We are inclusive and empowering
Location: Preference to be based from the regional office in Panama but could be based from a country office within the region.
Type of Role: 3 year fixed term contract
Reports to: Regional Director
Salary: Competitive salary available
Closing Date: Sunday 18th March 2018
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Please note that only applications and CVs written in English will be accepted.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Child Protection Policy.
As an international child centred community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realisation of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe.
We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.