Plan is a leading international children's development organization with no religious, political or governmental affiliation, our vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity. Child Centered Community Development (CCCD) is Plan's Child Rights approach in which children, families and communities are active and leading participants in their own development.
Working in 72 countries across the world, Plan's stated Global Strategic Goal (2011-15) is to reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalized, with high-quality programmes that deliver long-lasting benefits. Plan aims to achieve this goal by working in partnership with others and through high performing teams whose behaviors reflect the corporate values. Plan is committed to realizing child rights and is obligated to provide children with whom it works a safe and conducive environment.
Plan has been operating in Ethiopia since 1995, and currently operates in five regions of the country with a range of multi-sectoral development and humanitarian programmes.
About the Position: The post holder is responsible for ensuring the innovative and effective use of ICT resources in Plan’s work at the CO & PAs and will also work on ensuring the utilization of ICT for the effectiveness of program delivery.
Dimensions of Role: Responsible for the administration of the ICT infrastructure, Information Security and ICT4D implementation to improve the quality of program delivery
Providing technical assistance on the rollout & technical administration of global applications to PA ICT Coordinators in proving them.
Assisting ICTM in mainstreaming ICT4D in program delivery & the rollout of global applications in Plan Ethiopia.
- Provides first line ICT support, network and systems administration, troubleshooting and maintenance of corporate applications; to ensure smooth ICT operations
- Prepares monthly ICT systems management report and quarterly hardware and software report for monitoring ICT security incidents, systems utilization and hardware and software usage in all offices
- Updates the Country’s ICT disaster recovery plan document periodically to ensure ICT business continuity in case of disasters
- Works actively in new ICT global systems project rollout, testing and certification to improve accessibility of Plan ICT infrastructure to users
- Ensures Plan ICT policy, procedures and guidelines are implemented effectively to protect Plan from legal liability, from ICT security threats and prevent fraudulent activities by staffs
- Ensures efficient utilization of ICT Infrastructure to reduce wastage and to ensure return on investment of ICT resources
- Ensures adherence to corporate ICT standards at CO and PAs
- Works closely with ICTM to make ICT an effective strategic enabler for the implementation of the CSP and PULTP
- Conducts trainings to PA ICT Coordinators on new policies, standards & procedures as a result of the introduction of new ICT systems
- Organizes ICT refresher trainings to staffs based on the capacity gaps identified on their personal development plan and based on identified areas on frequent support requests.
- Administers Addis Ababa PA’s ICT infrastructure including but not limited to network administration, system administration and backup management
- Provides scheduled ICT support to Addis Ababa PA staffs whenever the need arises
- Child Protection and Gender Equality Responsibilities
- Demonstrate commitment to Plan’s child protection policy through implementing the policy in its entirety, and report any actual or potential risk situations following the reporting procedures, being aware of abuse and risks to children, being vigilant, becoming familiar with the Child Protection Policy.
- Raise children’s rights/protection awareness and imporant of gender equality and respect to diversity within Plan and amongst partners and community members.
- Child protection and gender equality policies are understood by the staff and partners.
- Ensure equal participation and benefit of boys and girls and children with disabilities in all phases of programme/ project implementation.
- Ensure sufficient budget and resources are allocated for gender equality activity in their respective area annual plans and project activities.
- Support partners in understanding plans’ gender equality strategy and program criteria and capacity building activities on gender as part of the regular work at field level.
- Ensure the representation of Plan Ethiopia in their respective region from gender equality perspectives.
- BSc Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, IT or related fields with a minimum of five years of relevant and technical experience
- Basic understanding about leadership & working with teams
- Good understanding about different ICT technologies such as Microsoft & Cisco
- Proven knowledge about Microsoft Windows, SQL Server, Exchange server, Networking and communication Technologies.
- Basic knowledge about ICT project management
- Ability to understand and communicate context and opportunities of ICT for development
- Excellent coordination skills
- Ability to explore about new technologies and to share to others
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Moderate travels to the PAs
- Responsible and energetic.
- A committed, supportive team player.
- Mature and trustworthy.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Willingness to travel and spend time in the field.
- Ability to work in a sensitive manner with people from all cultural backgrounds.
- Ethiopian nationality
Dealing with problems/risks in the position
- Creativity is highly required to find the right combination of technologies to use in ICT4D interventions & ICT software/hardware problems
- Robust understanding of program goals and linking them with appropriate ICT technology for sustainable interventions
- A skill to manage a mix of ICT technologies and Plan’s corporate systems is highly required
- A good leadership capacity is required in order to provide technical leadership to PA ICT Coordinators on the rollout of global applications, ICT4D and other technical issues
Competencies and Values
- Willingness to multi-task and work on own initiative
- Highly motivated and dynamic
- A belief in the potential of all people to success if given the right opportunity and support especially for Children rights
- Supportive and ethical
- Supportive attitude to working with HIV/AIDS affected persons
- Gender aware
Leadership attitudes and behaviours:
- Good understanding of how a team works & good team player
- Good communication and facilitation skills
- Pleasant and polite attitude at all times; ability to reflect the professional standards of Plan Ethiopia
- Ability to act as a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team. Working with expats and other ethnic groups
- Interest in and commitment to Plan’s activities, enthusiasm to represent Plan Ethiopia to others
- Engenders trust from other staff
- Supportive, versatile and flexible
- Works independently; able to work with minimal supervision
Communications and Working Relationships:
Internally: strong working relationship with ICTM and PA ICT Coordinators program and support staffs, frequent communication with the ICT team at IH (The global help desk) in order to get technical support on Plan’s corporate applications.
Externally: strong working relationship with the Internet Service Provider (ISP) and ICT service provider companies
Salary and Benefits:
Plan offers a very competitive salary and benefits package to its employees The post in on a fixed term contract for six months, salary will be in the range of 19,382.00 - 26,920.00 ETB plus a very attractive benefits including Monthly Transportation Allowance, Monthly Pension & PF Contribution of 15% of basic salary, Annual Medical Allowance, Mobile Card allowance, 24 hours GPA Insurance etc. Plan also provides a number of capacity development opportunities to its employees including Talent Management Programme.
How to Apply:
The closing date for the applications is 9th October 2015. Please use the subject: Applying for the position of IT Specialist in your application, attaching your CV, a letter explaining why you are the best candidate for this job, non-returnable copies of all the supporting documents, your current and expected salary, your contact details including phone and emails and contact details (both email and phone) of two referees who know you professionally. Please note that one of the referees must be your current/most recent line manager. The complete application should be sent to: PIErecruitment@plan-international.org
Only short listed applicants will be contacted. This position is open only for Ethiopian National with suitable skills and experiences. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all areas of the national community. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Child Protection Policy: References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out for the successful candidate in conformity with Plan’s Child Protection Policy.