Plan International is an international humanitarian, child-centered development organisation, without religious, political or governmental affiliation. Plan International works at grass roots level with children, families and communities to bring about long term sustainable development. Child sponsorship is the basic foundation of the organisation.
Plan International has been in Egypt for more than 34 years and it works in 8 governorates in Egypt committed to protect and promote child rights, implementing programmes designed to enable communities to improve the lives of the most marginalised children by working with women, youth and civil society organisations.
Currently, Plan International Egypt is looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated professional with a broad range of skills, to fill the position of Disaster Risk Management (DRM) Communication and Documentation Officer
The DRM Communication and Documentation Officer will support the documentation, reporting and information dissemination needs across the DRM projects. Specifically, the CDO will support in creating a system of information development, management and analysis on DRM and will be responsible for developing quality situation reports, special information reports and programmatic narrative reports for donors and other stakeholders. This position would also support the development of quality communications materials, like case studies, to meet specific needs of DRM programmes, working collaboratively with the Egypt Programme Communication Coordinator..
Dimensions of Role
• Dividing their time 50%/50% between the country office and field, reporting to Emergency Response Manager (ERM), the DRM CDO shall be assisting in consolidating information and data pertaining to DRM projects meeting the needs of donor compliance.
• The position shall be acting as the focal point in coordinating the development of situation reports with the DRM Programme Coordinators, Project Coordinators, Programme Units (PUs), Finance Department, Advocacy Communications Coordinator and other relevant functions and units. This role would also include support in literature review and background information gathering for situation reporting and other information dissemination.
• DRM CDO shall be working closely with DRM Programme Coordinators, Project Coordinators and support the ERM in the review and the development of programme progress reports for donors and other stakeholders, as required.
• DRM CDO shall work closely with the Programme Quality & Delivery unit to meet the donor reporting compliance requirements and assist the Emergency Response Manager (ERM) in the consolidation of quality programmatic progress reports for donors and other stakeholders.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
Specific roles and responsibilities:
• Assist in the systematic compiling, organizing, updating and indexing data, reports and documentation pertaining to DRM projects;
• Participate in DRM meetings, particularly DRM Joint Review and Reflections meetings and assist DRM Program Coordinators in generating quality meeting reports;
• Participate in consultative processes and support the development of narrative Emergency Response Plans;
• Assist in drafting of regular narrative progress reports for DRM projects as per the donor requirements;
• Provide support in ensuring data collection activities across DRM projects at PU level are in sync with the donor reporting requirements;
• Coordinate with the Communications Unit in and initiate the development, writing and distribution of communications products for internal and external audiences;
• Provide support and technical guidance to field-level project implementation teams with respect to documentation and reporting issues;
• Coordinate with the Communications team members about developing high quality communications materials – case stories, photo features, etc. – in support to donor progress reports and on standalone basis.
• Provide support to DRM project implementation teams on quality report writing, and developing information and communication strategies/activities as enshrined in the implementations plans;
• Assist in developing monthly/quarterly/annual progress reports and other relevant documents across DRM projects;
Dealing with Problems:
Application of knowledge required for the role, complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required to solve them.
• The ideal candidate would be a team player – with proven ability to work constructively with diverse teams
• Focus on finding solutions and delivering in tight time deadlines would be the traits of the ideal candidate
• High level of problem solving techniques with demonstrated capacity to work under pressure
Communications and Working Relationships
• Programme Area (PA) & Programme Unit (PU) members to coordinate project progress reporting, information management and the development of communication products related to DRM program implementation (High contact)
• Emergency Response Manager/team members (High contact).
• Regular contact with other PU Managers for networking purposes (high contact)
• Local partners to assess project progress and generate case studies (medium contact)
• Advocacy communication coordinator, Programme communication coordinator & Grants compliance coordinator at CO level (High contact)
• Local CDA partners, government, INGOs and UN.
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives
• A degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies or related discipline
• A relevant post graduate qualification is desirable
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience at a similar level, preferably in an INGO/UN environment, is desirable, but not a must.
• Understanding of humanitarian and development issues and critical analysis of child poverty
• Excellent knowledge of project management and budget planning.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic
• Proven report writing and human interest story writing skills in strong English
• Strong computer skills with good knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
• Willingness and ability to travel extensively within Egypt
• Willingness to learn and ability to work and deliver under tight situations
• Ability of harmonious team work, empathy and effective coordination with multiple actors
Physical Environment and Demands
May be “typical office environment”; note if heavy lifting, climbing, excess travel, etc.
Typically office environment with at least 40% travel: to Program Areas and other operational areas
Level of contact with children
The position will be based at the Country Office and level of contact with children is medium
How to apply
• Please send your updated CV to: [email protected] .
• The Deadline for receiving the CVs is the 25th of January 2016 Recruitment is being undertaken on a continual basis – apply immediately – and posting is as soon as possible following the successful completion of interviews.
• Female candidates and candidates with background in or knowledge of Syrian communities are encouraged to apply.