Traineeship Title: Advocacy and Communications Assistant
Duration: 15 February – 12 August 2016 (6 months)
Reporting to: Senior Policy and Advocacy Manager
Responsible for: Supporting the communications, campaigns and advocacy work of Plan International EU Office
Monthly allowance: €750 month
Based in: Brussels, Plan International EU Office
Status: Full-time (5 days per week)
Overall purpose of the job:
Working with the advocacy and communications teams, the trainee will support Plan International EU Office’s work to promote and protect children’s rights in EU external action.
- Assist the Communications and Campaigns Officer and the Senior Policy and Advocacy Manager in implementing the communication, campaign and advocacy work of Plan International EU Office;
- Provide support for the organisation of campaign events and activities, particularly relating to the implementation of ‘Girls’ Voices’ and Plan International EU Office’s engagement in the European Week of Action for Girls.
- Provide support to advocacy work on gender equality and women and girls' empowerment;
- Maintain and manage Plan International EU Office’s contact database, and provide other administrative support as required.
General Description of Tasks
Under the supervision of and in collaboration with the Senior Policy and Advocacy Manager and the Communications and Campaigns Officer to:
- Support Plan International EU Office’s communication, campaign and advocacy work regarding Plan International’s global ‘Because I am a Girl’ (BIAAG) campaign, particularly via providing support on the implementation of ‘Girls’ Voices’ and on the organisation of key events such as the European Week of Action for Girls;
- Liaise with Plan International’s National, Regional and Country Offices to gather information and prepare briefing documents and case studies on EC-funded projects;
- Support the Senior Policy and Advocacy Manager in work on gender equality (EU Gender Action Plan in particular) and child protection.
- Work with the Senior Policy and Advocacy Manager on other advocacy tasks to accomplish the EU Office strategy as requested;
- Provide support to maintain and update the website of Plan International EU Office.
- Lead on the creation and dissemination of the monthly Plan International EU Office newsletter;
- Daily monitoring of relevant news and updates from the EU Institutions and EU media;
- Maintain and manage Plan International EU Office’s contact database and general mailbox;
- Provide support for the organisation of both internal and external meetings, seminars, hearings and other events conducted by Plan International EU Office;
- Represent Plan International in external meetings as appropriate.
Skills and qualifications requirements
- A university degree in human rights, political science, or international development;
- A good understanding of international development policy, particularly relating to child rights and gender equality;
- Ability to carry out desk research and synthesise key information;
- Ability to consistently apply good judgement under pressure;
- Impeccable attention to detail;
- Flexible, proactive and resourceful with good organisational skills and the ability to manage competing priorities and meet tight deadlines in a rapidly changing environment;
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills;
- Fully computer literate; skilled and confident user of office applications;
- Commitment to Plan International’s vision and mission;
- A valid work permit for Belgium.
- Previous experience in a related field;
- Proven understanding of the links between advocacy and communications;
- A working knowledge of one or more of French, German or Spanish;
- Familiarity with Photoshop and InDesign.
How to apply
If you meet the skills requirements above and are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV and letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application: Advocacy and Communications Assistant” in the subject. Your letter should be no more than one side of A4 and outlining why you would be the ideal candidate for the position, bearing in mind the job description.
Deadline for applications is 06 January 2016, 17.00 CET.
Written test: 12-13 January 2016.
Interview: week commencing 18 January 2016.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Plan International is an international children’s rights and development organisation working in 71 countries worldwide. Plan International EU Office in Brussels works to ensure that the promotion and protection of children’s rights, with a focus on girls, is a priority in the EU's external action.
For more information about our work, go to www.plan-international.org/eu