Plan is a leading international children's development organization with no religious, political or governmental affiliation, our vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity. Child Centered Community Development (CCCD) is Plan's Child Rights approach in which children, families and communities are active and leading participants in their own development.
Working in 72 countries across the world, Plan's stated Global Strategic Goal (2011-15) is to reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalized, with high-quality programmes that deliver long-lasting benefits. Plan aims to achieve this goal by working in partnership with others and through high performing teams whose behaviors reflect the corporate values. Plan is committed to realizing child rights and is obligated to provide children with whom it works a safe and conducive environment.
Plan has been operating in Ethiopia since 1995, and currently operates in five regions of the country with a range of multi-sectoral development and humanitarian programmes.
About the Position: The position holder reports to the Head of Logistics and Administration Manager. S/he directly supervises Security Guards, Office Attendants and the Liaison and Facilities Assistant. The role holder has to ensure that there is an efficient and effectively managed office petty cash, proper allocation of office supplies, regular and proper cleaning of the office, up-to-date general maintenance of PIE offices and expat homes as well as being the security focal point for PIE and ensuring the safety and security of staff and PIE property. S/he is responsible for making sure that all facilities are managed properly and general administration operations are in order.
Typical Responsibilities - Key End Results of Position:
1. General Administration:
- Oversee the smooth flowing of routine, administrative work of the Plan International Ethiopia office and program support operations; oversee daily office activities
- Ensure adherence to Plan International Ethiopia administrative procedures by support and program staff;
- Manage the daily work plans with support staff in administration departments to ensure proper daily support functions and compliance with PIE and donor policies;
- Oversee all PIE Offices and expat residence properties, office equipment and asset maintenance and repair to ensure all operations are in working order.
- Oversee the Liaison and Facilities Assistant facilitates the maintenance and repairs of equipment and assets including replacing broken windows, changing light bulbs, and repairing electrical circuits, repairs furniture, water and sewage installations including drains, pipelines, water mains, equipment, IT equipment, generators and other appliances and machinery.
- Responsible for the provision of administrative support to conferences, workshops and meetings.
- Follow-up on and arrange as necessary updates on telecommunications systems (including office telephone, office fax, satellite telephones and HF radios) for all offices in consultation with line manager and ICT Unit.
- Responsible for managing Plan International Ethiopia’ rented properties including: leases and legal agreements; inventory, repairs and maintenance of properties.
- Conduct walk-throughs before leasing and vacating properties; consult the team on required maintenance and repair works according to inspections performed.
- Maintain an up-to-date file of all leases, including walk-through inventory lists, copies of deeds, rental payments and other documents related to rented facilities. Maintain a spreadsheet of details for all leases agreements, amendments and other relevant documents.
- Ensure rent payment requests are made in a timely manner.
- Source appropriate rental properties for viewing, as required. Prepare contracts and inventory lists according to Plan International Ethiopia policies, guidelines and templates.
- Ensure monthly utility and security bills are collected and payments made on time; document and maintain a database of payments
- Oversee that the visa, organization registration, work and residence permits, customs clearing and other legal documentation for local and international staff, guests and visitors are handled appropriately;
- Properly document all expat files and documents and make sure the expiry dates of their visa, work and residence permits are stated and clearly communicated to them in advance.
- In collaboration with the Logistics Unit, process the selection and contractual agreements with hotels, guest houses and air-ticketing organizations; maintain a documentation and database of all agreements, amendments and other relevant documents.
- Process all hotel and air travel payments in a timely manner; elevate issues immediately to direct supervisor to resolve any issues related to payments.
- Ensure that a central filing system is maintained.
- Supervise that all operations files are clearly managed and maintained. These files will always be updated, organized, clearly marked, and completed.
- Prepares a schedule of preventive maintenance tasks which need to be carried out at regular intervals through the Liaison and Facilities Assistant.
- Prepares purchase requests for required items for repairs and maintenance works and work with the Logistics Unit to ensure the timely delivery and storage of materials.
- Oversees the routine checks and minor maintenance of office equipment such as printers, copiers, etc. as needed along with the ICT Unit
- Support other Program Area offices and emergency program locations with administrative and facilities issues as well as repair and maintenance.
- Responsible for the smooth running of the Office management;
- Supervise support staff such as Office Attendants and ensures proper utilization and allocation of office supplies, regular and proper cleaning of the Country Office and ensuring proper and timely serving of tea/coffee as well as water for staff in the Office.
- Will represent Plan International Ethiopia, as advised by supervisor, to local governments and authorities;
- To develop and maintain administration systems. Maintain and coordinate CO documentation and communications, for orderly and easy access to documents/filing system in readiness for external and internal audit requirement.
- Maintain documents and information with confidentiality.
- To consolidate all travel data, prepare them for sharing with the Head of Logistics and Administration on a monthly basis.
- To build and maintain positive working relationships with all members of staff, and contacts both within and outside the organisation.
- Oversee security management at CO and PAs to ensure Plan property, assets and staffs are protected and safe hence, minimisation of loss of lives and property;
- To become familiar with the Plan’s Safety and Security Guidelines and do everything possible to increase staff safety and maintain conducive healthy and safe working environment.
- Ensures that all compounds are properly guarded and secured, both in terms of staff as well as facilities (fences, gates), takes appropriate corrective action when needed;
- Gives advice about and assists with guarding/security issues related to residential compounds in consultation with the residents;
- Issues guidelines and work instructions for guards (entrance/exit policies, gate-pass policy, rules of engagement, etc.) and ensures their proper implementation.
- Conduct regular quarterly and annual security risk assessments of all PIE offices and sub-offices, report on risk assessments and mitigation to the Head of Logistics and Administration.
- Establish security guard schedule and provide training/orientation for new guards; monthly schedules and duty roaster for the guards.
- Ensure that security enforcement meets with all applicable Plan International Ethiopia policies and procedures.
- Reviews utilization and maintenance of security equipment in all properties and vehicles; works with the Logistics Unit to procure required safety and security equipment for PIE.
- Maintains and recommends changes or improvements in the record keeping system for security guard activities. Orders, maintains and issues clothing and equipment as required as per the HR policy.
- Will brief Security Management Team on any immediate security threats and provide training/translation to advisories, as necessary.
- Provide a security briefing to all new staff , visitors and guests (advising on current security phase)
- Assist Head of Logistics and Administration, as required, in developing strategies to continue work in times of heightened security.
- Facilitate any incident reporting requirements as required. Maintain a filing system and ensure Head of Logistics and Administration and the Country Director have access to files and completed forms;
- Ensure that all necessary measures are taken to provide employees with a staff working environment as detailed in existing guidelines, including responsibility of fire regulations and building evacuation procedures.
- Will represent Plan International Ethiopia routinely at security meetings/briefings;
- Performs additional duties as per the request of the Head of Logistics and Administration.
- Promotes and abides by Plan policies and procedures including but not limited to: Gender equality mainstreaming, Child Protection Policy; Code of Conduct and the related mandatory reporting responsibilities.
2. Staff Management
- Enable his/her supervisees to perform to their maximum capacity by managing their workload (work inventory, planning, monitoring and feedback) as well as by arranging adequate working conditions and inputs in line with their operational needs;
- Supervise, coach and motivate staff to enhance and manage their performance and development that enables them to perform to their maximum capacity by managing their workload (work inventory, planning, monitoring and feedback) as well as by arranging adequate working conditions and inputs in line with their operational needs;
- Creating a positive working environment in which continuous improvement, service-mindedness, transparency and open communications are key values.
- Maintain leave records of all direct reports and ensure posts are covered at all times especially for Security Guards and Office Attendants.
- Develops and updates a departmental planning of measurable objectives and results, monitors progress and takes effective action when needed; reports on monthly basis to the Head of the Department.
- Ensure the administration related budget is available and well managed for effective and efficient operations.
- Prepare, receive, check and authorize weekly and monthly reports of his/her direct reports and compiles them into unit-wide regular reports; compiles them into unit-wide regular reports for sharing with the line manager;
- Develops and updates a unit planning of measurable objectives and results, monitors progress and takes effective action when needed; reports on monthly basis to line manager;
- Holds daily (plenary), weekly (one-on-one) meetings with his/her direct subordinates as well as periodic meetings together with their key staff; ensures minute-taking, record keeping and the timely and systematic follow-up of action points;
- The output and performance of designated staff through supervision and evaluation;
Dealing with Problems: The job holder is expected to manage complex logistic related problems and give feasible solutions while using his analytical and creative thinking. S/he is expected to have a strong negotiation skills and technical problem solving skills.
Child Protection and Gender Equality
- Familiarize with the gender equality policy and gender equality implementation strategy.
- Ensure the procurement procedure and process take into consideration relevant gender equality issues.
- Ensure existing guidelines on use of office facilities transportation are gender sensitive.
- Ensure gender equality policy a taken in to consideration in consultancy and other partnership contracts.
Education: Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Management, Economics and any other related field
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience (2 years of which must be in a supervisory position with management responsibility) in a Corporate, UN or NGO environment, including significant in large scale administrative functions both emergency and development programs.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay activities.
- Must be an independent thinker and have strong organizational skills; demonstrated experience scheduling and managing staff from multiple departments.
- Previous experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others.
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate options; think and plan strategically.
- Strong negotiating, facilitating and influencing skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Communicates clearly and effectively; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel
- Strong team-building and motivational skills
- Strong managerial and supervisory skills
- Knowledge of filing and general record keeping
- Pro-active and excellent time management skills
- Good in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills; both in English and Amharic
Dealing with Problems
The job holder is expected to manage complex logistic related problems and give feasible solutions while using his analytical and creative thinking. S/he is expected to have a strong negotiation skills and technical problem solving skills.
Plan offers a very competitive salary and benefits package to its employees The post in on a fixed term contract for two year, salary will be in the range of 19,382 – 26,920.00 ETB plus a very attractive benefits including Monthly Transportation Allowance, Monthly Pension & PF Contribution of 15% of basic salary, Annual Medical Allowance, Mobile Phone Card allowance, 24 hours GPA Insurance etc. Plan also provides a number of capacity development opportunities to its employees including Talent Management Programme.
How to Apply:
The closing date for the applications is 7th of November 2015. Please use the subject: Administration Coordinator in your application, attaching your CV, a letter explaining why you are the best candidate for this job, non-returnable copies of all the supporting documents, your current and expected salary, your contact details including phone and emails and contact details (both email and phone) of two referees who know you professionally. Please note that one of the referees must be your current/most recent line manager. The complete application should be sent to: PIErecruitment@plan-international.org
Only short listed applicants will be contacted. This position is open only for Ethiopian National with suitable skills and experiences. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all areas of the national community. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Child Protection Policy:
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out for the successful candidate in conformity with Plan’s Child Protection Policy.