Youth Engagement Assistant Traineeship
PLAN INTERNATIONAL EU OFFICE, Brussels, Belgium.
- Duration: June 2021 – December 2021 (6 months) (CIP « Convention d’Immersion Professionnelle »)
- Preferred starting date: June 14th, 2021
- Traineeship title: Youth Engagement Assistant
- Reporting to: Head of Influencing and to the Policy and Advocacy Officer
- Responsible for: Supporting the influencing work of Plan International EU Office with a focus on youth engagement
- Status: CIP (Trainee). Full-time (5 days/week, 37.5 hrs.)
- Based in: Brussels, Plan International EU Office.
- Net Salary: +/- 813 EUR per month
- Benefits: 10 PLAN holidays for 6 months CIP period, work-related public transport costs reimbursed
Plan International is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities or members of other underrepresented groups to apply. In addition, if you do not meet all the requirements and are very interested in the position, you can still apply by letting us know what you would bring to the work of Plan International.
About Plan International
Plan International (PI) is a rights-based development and humanitarian organisation working for equality for girls and better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing all children and especially girls. We are active in over 80 countries across the world.
The purpose and ambition of Plan International EU Office (EUO) is to advance children’s rights and equality for girls in particular in the EU’s external action. In line with Plan International’s Global Strategy, One Million Reasons, and the EUO’s 5-year strategy, we will contribute to ensuring that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive. We work with the EU in its three roles as a donor, policy-maker and promoter of human rights.
As part of the EU Influencing Team, the Youth Engagement Assistant will support Plan International EU Office’s work to ensure that the promotion and protection of children's rights, with a focus on gender equality, is a priority in the EU's external action. The assistant will focus in particular on youth engagement.
Under the supervision of and in collaboration with the Head of Influencing and the Policy and Advocacy Officer, the assistant will:
- Support the organisation of external events (e.g. European Week of Action for Girls (EWAG) );
- Liaise with Plan International’s National, Regional and Country Offices;
- Support partnerships with youth-led organisations;
- Support the safeguarding of Plan International’s young advocates;
- Support young advocates engagement: capacity-building activities, youth-led advocacy and campaigning;
- Collaborate closely with the Communications and Campaigns team;
- Represent Plan International in external and internal meetings;
- Any other tasks related to Plan International’s work on youth participation and girls’ leadership.
Skills / Abilities
- Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to Plan International's core values and humanitarian principles;
- Interest or volunteer/professional experience in youth participation, youth work, youth-led advocacy or campaigns;
- Interest or volunteer/professional experience in organising events;
- Ability to consistently apply good judgement under pressure;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Flexible, proactive and resourceful with good organisational skills and the ability to manage competing priorities and meet tight deadlines in a rapidly changing environment;
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills;
- Team spirit and willingness to work in a multicultural team;
- Fully computer-literate: skilled and confident user of office applications, especially MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Relevant experience in human rights, political science, international development or any other specific field relevant to PI’s work;
- Interest in developing skills related to child and youth safeguarding;
- Basic understanding of youth engagement principles;
- Knowledge of French, Spanish or/and Portuguese or any other additional languages is an asset.
How to Apply
If you meet the skills requirements above and are interested in applying for this post, please send your CV (no Europass) and cover letter (no longer than 2 pages) in English to EUORecruitment@plan-international.org with “Application: Youth Engagement Assistant” in the subject.
Deadline for applications is the 10th of May 2021 at 23:59, Local Time in Brussels, Belgium.
Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed. Due to high volumes of applications received, should you not have received feedback on your application within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Visa/passport requirements: the candidate must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Belgium and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy. Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realisation of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with. Plan International believes that it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.