Plan’s 75 years of experience has shown that real change can take place when girls are valued. Investing in girls’ education is the right, fair and smart thing to do and will help end poverty for generations to come.
We are working with girls, communities, traditional leaders, governments, global institutions and the private sector to address the barriers that prevent girls from completing their education.
We are calling for:
- girls' education to be prioritised by world leaders
- girls' completion of a quality secondary education to be a major focus of international action
- funding for girls education to be increased
- an end to child marriage
- an end to gender-based violence in and around schools
- girls and boys to participate in decision making and inspire those with power to take action
Reaching millions of girls
Plan's Because I am a Girl campaign aims to reach 4 million girls directly – improving their lives with access to school, skills, livelihoods and protection. We will also achieve these improvements through better family and community support and access to services for girls.
In addition, we aim to reach 40 million girls and boys indirectly in terms of positive improvements through our gender programmes.
We also aim to reach 400 million girls through policy change. This means helping to bring about quantifiable improvements in policy makers, service providers and government support for gender equality and girls' rights.
Globally, 1 in 5 girls of lower secondary school age is out of school.